Tuesday, February 5, 2013

GBBC 2013 Bird Lovers

Red Tailed Hawk
THE Great Back Yard Bird Count (GBBC) Is Back and bigger than ever. It has gone global. For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about the Audbone Socity has teemed up with the Corneal Lab of Ornotholgy to do a bird study that is now world wide.
Female Ruby Throated Hummingbird
We did our first bird count in 2003 when Alex was 5, sitting on the kitchen counter (my birdfeeder was right outside that window then) eating cheese sandwiches.  I thought it was going to be hard counting and entering in the data on-line.  But it was easy and so much fun. 


                                                                     Male Eastern Bluebirds

In all the years we have been doing the count I have yet to purchase a field guide.  I found I could get far more information than I could afford, by just going to my library and taking home 4 or 5 different field guides, and spend my money on more bird feed.
 
My Christmas gift to the birds
 This wound up being a great way to have fun, do some nature science and enjoy the lovely winged creatures we share our home with. I know this sounds and looks like an infomertian but there is no way I can earn off something that is free.  We just enjoy it so much I have to share this every year. 
Click on Owl to go to the GBBC


No comments:

Post a Comment